About

07 December 2011

Two things

I looove summer. In South Africa we have been blessed with four seasons, with Spring being my most favorite. I am a spring baby after all. But summer is my second best. For one, everyone comes Alive in summer and you get to enjoy the great outdoor with a lot of outdoor events....

1. Simple flower arrangements at outdoor restaurants

I love going to a restaurant and finding a cute flower arrangement, the simpler - the better. I always imagine that they probable picked the flower from somebodys garden. Like this one, I saw at Canteen a chic restaurant on "Arts On Main". I went there with a girl friend one weekend and we absolutely LOVED the food. We'll be going back. Its not much, but its things like this that make me believe that the restaurant is at least making an effort, not only are they committed in serving you descent food but they want you to enjoy the experience. Canteen does that very well.

2.  Vovo Telo

There is a 'new' bread cafe in town and I'm in love with it. Well, its not exactly new but I only discovered it a couple of weeks ago thanks to a colleague who recommended it. Being a girl, I try and limit my bread intake but I sure do love me some sour dough bread *hangs head in shame*

Anyway, I dragged yet another friend of mine to try and sample the place with me. I was not armed with my camera just my phone as I didn't know what to expect and didn't want to scare my friend. Anyway, almost 30 minutes into the drive searching for 4th Avenue in Parkmore we finally found it. Oh by the way, 4th Avenue is a must for anyone looking a non-pretentious hangout in the 'North'...

This is what I could get of the place, my phone does not have an excellent camera but:

This place makes the freshest food in town. I had a freshly squeezed carrot, apple and ginger juice and I'm telling you it felt like they just took the carrot out of their backyard garden. Oh, they bake bread in the open, check the top right picture... You are sure you are getting some fresh bread too. And the waiters are super friendly, it was our first time there and they made us feel like regulars at the place. Shhh, yes - you can buy the bread to take home. If you ask nicely, they can cut it for you :) Until this day, I still have not mastered the art of cutting bread.

Verdict from me and my girl, this shall be our official Sunday brunch spot. Well until I discover a new germ. I'm an explorer at heart, I cannot be tied down to one place for long.

Song of the week:
I've been listening to the Alicia Keys Superwoman track and am loving it....

Everywhere I'm turning
Nothing seems complete
I stand up and I'm searching
For the better part of me
I hang my head from sorrow
state of humanity
I wear it on my shoulders
Gotta find the strength in me

Cause I am a Superwoman
Yes I am
Yes she is
Even when I'm a mess
I still put on a vest
With an S on my chest
Oh yes
I'm a Superwoman

For all the mothers fighting
For better days to come
And all my women, all my women sitting here trying
To come home before the sun
And all my sisters
Coming together
Say yes I will
Yes I can

Cause I am a Superwoman
Yes I am
Yes she is
Even when I'm a mess
I still put on a vest
With an S on my chest
Oh yes
I'm a Superwoman

When I'm breaking down
And I can't be found
And I start to get weak
Cause no one knows
Me underneath these clothes
But I can fly
We can fly, Oh

Cause I am a Superwoman
Yes I am
Yes she is
Even when I'm a mess
I still put on a vest
With an S on my chest
Oh yes
I'm a Superwoman


Songs like this really inspire me when I'm feeling down, really speak truth about most women I know. Very strong, manage to wear a smile even when times are tough without wearing their sorrows on their faces. I'm reminded of my mom's best friend. That woman is my hero!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment