About

13 December 2011

Remembering Paris (Part 1)

Paris...

I won't lie and say I've dreamt of going to Paris all my life, but somewhere in my adult life this vision of me in Parrri dominated my thoughts. Through the movies and all the gah-gah about Paris being the most romantic city I became curious. I'm not a romantic person by any measure so I was also keen on finding out whether or not I'd see this city from a romantic perspective??? Who knows, if nothing could melt me maybe Paris could try?

I arrive in CDG airport early morning on an AirBerlin flight from Dusseldorf. After much unanticipated drama. Ooh the joys of traveling. I had my flight turned around mid flight because of engine problems so I had to spend an unplanned night in Germany? Who knew! So not only did I do a stop over in Germany - now I can actually claim I've been to Germany (technically) cause I spent a night there? lol.

Back to Paris. The airport was like any other, so I was excited to go out an explore. The fast airport link plus the metro was sufficient in getting me to the closest stop (Cardinal Lemoine) from my hotel. My home for the few days I spent in the city of lights was Hotel Du Pantheon. Its a descent enough hotel and for what you get - very affordable by Paris standards. I was lucky (I think) to get a room with a view of the Patheon. Familiarity is a devil, just because the Patheon was in my door step - I never felt the urgency to check it out, except through my window. The other fun thing was that its also right across Sorbonne University. It was very nice to watch cool Parisian students - who most of the time looked like they just stepped off a runway - go about their normal student business.

View from my window
View of the Patheon from my window
So after settling into my hotel I had to go see the Eifel Tower? Isn't that the whole reason I came to Paris after all? To behold the engineering beauty that shall turn me into a mooshy romantic?
Le tour Eiffel
Besides the fact that Mr Eiffel was an engineering genius and its unimaginable how such a structure was built in 1889 in just under 3 year, with zero technological involvement or advanced safety equipment??? I did not find anything remotely romantic about this sight... But thank heavens I was not one of the 300 men involved in this construction. The long queues to the ticket counter discouraged me from going up. Plus I figured, why not save this experience for when I go to Paris with a romantic partner in that way, maybe I'll see the fluffiness in this steel structure.

The next day, I decided to use a voucher on my ParisPass that gave me access to the red bus. I always prefer a getting lost approach to seeing new places but I had a feeling that a city such a Paris might overwhelm me. So on to the bus I went to get a good feel of the place and also to note the spots I'd like to spend more time in. I did a full 2 hour round without getting off.

Funny enough (the tourist gods might never forgive me) my very first stop was along Chamos Elysees *hangs head in shame*. Yes, the very 1st thing I did on my first full day in Paris was to shop.

After some much needed retail therapy, I decided to try and make amends with the tourist gods by making my way up the Arc de Triomphe. And just to make 100% sure i get full redemption I took the stairs, all 284 of them. By the time I reached the top I was yet again reminded, Gustave Eiffel was a genius. The view of the tower from here showed me just how taaaall it is.

Paris is a beautiful city no doubt. I was there in winter - but I had a feeling that the city transforms itself each season. My pictures show amber leaves on trees, gray skies, snow falls in parts but I can imagine its a totally different view in summer. Which is why I've decided if there is one place I have to return to - it is Paris. I mean, hello - it is a basic girl right to see Paris in the summer, spring and autumn. 
The following days, which I'll write about in another entry were on full tourist mode.












No comments:

Post a Comment