About

02 November 2011

Two things

Two things is a weekly feature I'll run on my blog, obviously every week :) This is really to share two things that I love. So to kick off things...

1. The world's street lights.

I've been fascinated with street lights for the longest time. Not because of the basic function they provide, but rather how pretty they can look if you pay attention. Last year I visited a few countries in Europe and these are some of my favourite street light photos...

Gondola Station lights

Look at this one taken during my time in Venice. How cute is the pink. Imagine a row of these lit up at night time, now see how pretty that look. The first day I arrived in Venice there was high tides (Aqua Alta), what I found fascinating were the walkthrough bridges built that had everybody walkig on single file lines. It was quite a site. Luckily though, the water levels dropped the next days and I was able to do some good 'getting lost' advisable the best way to see Venice.

Venice lights
Venice is a really beautiful city... You have to see it to believe it. The city is pretty much occupied by tourists 24/7 and by the people who work in the tourism industry. So, I didn't really see any unique local culture. But it is charming... I managed to see it better 'in peace' early morning and in the evening. During the day, I spent my days in cafe's and churches. There is just way too many people off the cruise ships to even try make your way through. And this was winter time, I wonder how it is in Summer. But Venice is on my go to again list, if I ever run our of places to see :)



Louvre courtyard

Paris, paris, paris!!! Oh wow... I got two pictures of street lights from this city

1. The one at the Lourve. In my view this place houses the the world's greatest anti-climax. Leonardo's Mona Lisa... How is it that the painting I've heard of since I was a child became the smallest in the room??? I was left grossly underwhelmed by the Mona Lisa. But that didn't mean that I would not take my must take pic with the lady.





Hotel des Invalides
2. The building that houses the war meuseum (Hotel des Invalides)... It is one of my most favourite buildings in the city. I love the street lights on each side of the road as you approach the building.




2. Song of the week

The song I've been playing almost daily on my iPod this week has been Adele's cover of a Bob Dylan song: "Make you feel my love"

I fell in love with the song actually when I heard another artist names Leroy Bell sang it on XFactor USA, he did it with such purity that I had to go onto the copy I had on my iPod by Adele and listen to it over and over again.... It is an amazing and emotional song, with such power in the lyrics.

When the rain Is blowing in your face
And the whole world Is on your case
I could offer you A warm embrace
To make you feel my love

When the evening shadows And the stars appear
And there is no - one there To dry your tears
I could hold you For a million years
To make you feel my love

I know you Haven't made Your mind up yet
But I would never Do you wrong
I've known it From the moment That we met
No doubt in my mind Where you belong

I'd go hungry I'd go black and blue
I'd go crawling Down the avenue
No, there's nothing That I wouldn't do
To make you feel my love

The storms are raging On the rolling sea
And on the highway of regret
Though winds of change Are blowing wild and free
You ain't seen nothing Like me yet

I could make you happy Make your dreams come true
Nothing that I wouldn't do
Go to the ends Of the Earth for you
To make you feel my love, To make you feel my love

How many people these days are prepared to offer such kind of love to their loved ones??? To really go to teh ends of the earth for the one you so love.


No comments:

Post a Comment